Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Baked Plantains & a Salad




Usually I try to stay away from sugar but sometimes I need something sweet. Maybe I should have drizzled agave nectar on them instead... an idea for next time.
Also warning about sugar, not all of it is vegan so please do some research before you purchase your sugar.

If you have never tried plantains (plĂĄtanos) then I recommend that you give them a chance, they are so delicious!  They look similar to bananas, just a little bit larger and colored slightly different. Usually they are fried but I bake mine instead, this makes them healthier because they are not soaked in oil.

Here is my recipe for baked plantains:

Ingredients:
  • Ripe plantain (a ripe plantain is very yellow with black spots)
  • Cooking Spray
  • Optional: Powdered sugar or agave nectar for sweetening.
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 400
  2. Cut the ends off the plantain, peel the skin off, and slice the banana-looking part into diagonal pieces about 1/2 inch in width.
  3. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray or olive oil and place the plantain pieces on it.
  4. Bake for about 10 minutes, turn them over and bake for another 3-5 minutes.
  5. They are already sweet but if you want them to be sweeter just top them with one of the optional sweeteners.
  6. Serve alongside desserts, as a side for a meal, or even add to your salad!
I added mine to my salad and it was absolutely amazing :)




DisfrĂștelo!


    No comments:

    Post a Comment