Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Another Delicious Breakfast! Fruit Oatmeal

Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day (with dinner being a close second).  I frequently make oatmeal because it's fast, filling, and can be absolutely delicious depending on what you put in it!  



Plus, look at how insanely cheap it is!!! Only 75 cents for one serving.
I think it actually just became a little more delicious after finding out how cheap it is. 

I recently bought flaxseed because I kept seeing it pop up here and there; and I have heard rumors of it being very good for you.  I did not realize how amazingly good it is for you until I bought and read the package.

Listen to this:
"Flaxseed contains high levels of natural antioxidants called lignans.  Many plant foods have some lignans, but flaxseed has at least 75 times more than any other.  To get the lignans that are in just two tablespoons of flaxseed meal, you would need to eat about 30 cups of fresh broccoli."
[Source: back of my flaxseed meal bag]

Wow ok, so that sounds important.  
My question is, what are lignans and how do they help me?
Here is what I came up with through a quick google search:
"Lignan is a chemical found in the cell walls of plants.... (commence lots of scientific names and explanations)..." So basically they help reduce breast cancer, prostate cancer, cardiovascular disease, inflammation, and the list goes on.
[Source: Lignan Benefit by Ray Sahelian, M.D.]


In addition to lignans, flaxseed also contains a lot of fiber and omega-3s.
My conclusion?
Go flaxseed!

2 comments:

  1. I have porrige with saltanas in for breakfast every day. This sounds a lot more exciting so I will be trying this very soon Lydia. Marion x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if I have ever had porrige before, but I bet that you can add fruit and flaxseed to it!!

    ReplyDelete